Electrical and Electronic Products
a.Benefits of EEP Testing & Certification
Electrical and electronic products (EEPs) are widely used in almost all aspects of daily life including audio and video equipment, children's toys, communication devices, household appliances and lighting products. EEPs are also invaluable for essential medical and public utilities. Safety and performance of EEPs are thus of paramount concern. It is vital that all EEPs sold meet stringent and performance standards to ensure they are safe and suitable for their intended use.
The EEP industry uses numerous third-party testing and certification services to ensure products comply with international/national standards or regulations specified by importing countries. Through testing and certification, the quality of EEPs can be enhanced. This helps manufacturers and traders to minimise the chance of recalls, returns and complaints, and to establish a good reputation as well as to enhance product sales.
b.EEP Testing & Certification Services
Accredited testing and certification organisations in Hong Kong can provide professional services in electrical and electronic product (EEP) testing, inspection and certification at different stages throughout the product supply chain.
EEPs are commonly tested, in accordance with standardised technical procedures, to determine if the products conform to requirements set out by importing countries.
Common safety tests
- Electrical hazard tests
- Photobiological safety hazard tests
- Thermal tests – including excessive temperature and fire hazard risks
- Mechanical hazard tests
- Reliability tests for safety critical components, e.g. fuses, thermostats, etc.
- Electromagnetic energy exposure tests to determine whether the Specific Absorption Rate of radio frequencies (RF) is within international electromagnetic field exposure guidelines
- Chemical tests, such as leaching of dangerous chemicals, screening for harmful chemicals like Bisphenol A (BPA), formaldehydes, halogens and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- Noise and acoustic tests – especially for headphones and handsets
- Transit tests to assess shock, vibration, compression and atmospheric changes that may be incurred during the transportation of goods
Common performance tests
- Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and radio frequency (RF) tests to determine performance reliability of an EEP when other EEPs operate in close proximity
- Energy-efficiency tests
- Durability tests, such as life tests of compact fluorescent lamps and LED lamps
- Functionality and usability tests
Examples of EEP inspection services include inspection of manufacturing processes and pre-shipment inspections at the factory to determine whether a particular batch of EEPs complies with the relevant buyer's specifications.
Product certification is sometimes required for EEPs such as China Compulsory Certification (CCC).
c.Laboratories Accredited by HKAS Providing Testing Services on EEPs
Details of the laboratories providing the public with accredited electrical and electronic product (EEP) testing services are available at HKAS's website.