Testing and Certification for Fire Safety in Buildings
(19 October 2016)
The Council and the Hong Kong Accreditation Service co-organised the Seminar on Testing and Certification for Fire Safety in Buildings. (Flyer)
The recent fire at an industrial building in Hong Kong has sparked public concern about building fire safety. Fire safety in buildings is determined by a number of factors including, for example, the fire resistance of the building materials. It is vital that building structure and components as well as the fire products and equipment installed could meet stringent safety and performance standards. Testing and certification plays a key role in ensuring the performance and quality of these components, installations and equipment meet the latest fire safety requirements.
In this seminar, Government departments, professional bodies and institutions were invited to provide updates on the latest development of testing methods, requirements, properties and product certification schemes of different fire protection building components and products.
Topics of the seminar include:
- The Importance of Fire Tests & Submission of Fire Test Reports for Materials and Products in Building Works under Buildings Ordinance
- Behaviour of Burnt Structures and Testing Requirement
- Product Conformity Certification Scheme for Passive Fire Protection Products (Presentation)
- Testing Methods and Requirements for Fire Performance of Curtain Wall Systems (Presentation)
- Building Diagnostics Tests as Assessment Tools (Presentation)
- Accreditation for Construction Materials Testing and Certification (Presentation)