Product Certification on Construction Materials
(13 November 2015)
The Council and the Hong Kong Accreditation Service co-organised the Seminar on Product Certification on Construction Materials. (Programme)
Testing and certification services for construction materials are important as they contribute to quality construction projects. Product certification involves a third party issuing assurance that a product conforms to specific requirements.
The benefits of product certification are many. Product quality can be promoted through upstream control, and consistency of quality can be ensured through continuous surveillance of the production process in the factory, and there will be better traceability of products.
Through these quality control actions provided by a third party, the risk of failure in on-site compliance testing is reduced, thereby reduces the risk of delay and the waste of time and money in case reordering is required. End-product users will have greater confidence on product quality in view of its compliance with recognised standards or specific requirements.
The seminar aimed to introduce to the construction sector about product certification. Participants took this opportunity to know more about product certification of construction materials/products and how it helps to ensure quality from the very beginning when the products are still being manufactured.
Topics of the seminar include:
- Using Product Certification in Construction Works and the Difficulties Encountered (Presentation)
- Product Certification Scheme on Steel Rebar (Presentation)
- Quality Product Certification Scheme on Mechanical Couplers (Presentation)
- Product Certification Scheme on Paint Products (Presentation)
- Product Conformity Certification Scheme for Passive Fire Protection Products (Fire Door and Fire Partition) and for Aluminum Window Frames (Presentation)
- Benefits of Using Services of Accredited Certification Bodies for Construction Product Certification (Presentation)